Monday, March 06, 2006

120 Santa Rita Cabernet Sauvignon - 2004


I bought this wine from Trader Joe's in Chicago last summer. I think it cost about $6.99 or something like that. Now, my experiences with Trader Joe's wines in the past have been so-so. Some are good, some are huge disappointments. Keep in mind, this blog is for the casual wine drinker, not someone who can throw down $50-100 per bottle of wine! Also keep in mind that sometimes the $5 bottle of wine is just as good as the $50 bottle.

*This is a dry red wine from Chile.

With all of that said, here are my notes on the 120 Santa Rita Cabernet Sauvignon from my personal wine log:

Date tasted: 1/16/06
Winery name & location: Santa Rita - Rapel Valley, Chile
Grape/blend: Cabernet Sauvignon
Vintage: 2004
Color: burgundy/deep crimson
Taste: vanilla, caramel, cherry, cranberry
Aroma: vanilla, leather, oak, rich berries
Thoughts/info from wine label: It was much better than I expected, especially based on the boring/generic label! It had strong, tall legs. Despite its youth (most Cabs are good when aged 5-10 years and this one was just a year old), the wine still had a delightful flavor. It was lighter-bodied than I expected (which I have found true with other young cabs), and also had a fruitier taste than other Cabs I've tasted in the past. Part of this wine was aged in French & American oak for four months, while the rest was matured in stainless steel. It had definite earthy flavors!

Basically, I would totally suggest this wine to anyone looking for an inexpensive but full flavored Cab. I sucked this wine down so fast that Wine Guy did not get to taste any of it. I drank it all on its own with no food pairings whatsoever. It was truly a tasty treat.

Based on the Wine Gal/Wine Guy five-grape tasting scale, I give this wine FOUR GRAPES!

Winery's website: www.SantaRita.com

No comments: