Monday, March 06, 2006

MacMurray Ranch Pinot Noir - 2004


This was a nice treat, but a little over-priced I'd say. The Wine Guy and I were nestled in one February evening and decided it would be fun to open this wine to enjoy wtih our goat cheese/tomato/basil dip and garlic bread. It was a bit smokier than I usually prefer for a Pinot Noir, but still had the light body of my fave Pinots.

This wine was purchased at Big Red Liquors in Bloomington, IN, and cost approximatley $17. Like I said before, I think it should probably be a little less...like maybe in the $10-12 range. Don't know I'd spend $17 for it again, but that's just me.

Here are my tasting notes for this light bodied dry red...


Date tasted: 2/18/06
Winery name & location: MacMurray - Sonoma Coast (Russian River Valley)
Grape/blend: Pinot Noir
Vintage: 2004
Color: light crimson
Taste: light oak, spicy finish (Wine Guy tasted berries)
Aroma: light spice, bacon, oak
Thoughts/info from wine label: The Wine Guy and I noted that we liked this one a lot. He picked up berry flavors right away, and after the wine had been exposed to the oxygen for a while I began to get these flavors too. This one is 13.5% alcohol, and the bottle read, "This wine has distinctive cherry & strawberry flavors accentuated by sweet vanilla notes & spice."

I definitely tasted the spice, and overall I thought this was a very smooth, easily drinkable wine. It would probably pair well with any type of meat, pasta, or just with cheese and appetizers.

We were a little split when rating this one...

Wine Gal's Five Grape Tasting Scale: OOO 1/2 (three and a half grapes)
Wine Guy's Five Grape Tasting Scale: OOOO (four grapes! Holy Canoli!)

Link to winery's website: www.MacMurrayRanch.com

No comments: