Friday, March 31, 2006

Michele Chiarlo Barbera D'Asti - 2003


Wow, what a surprise!! This is an Italian red wine that I had absolutely NO CLUE about when I bought it. I got it from a little eclectic grocery store in Bloomington, IN, called Sahara Mart. It was on sale, which made me a bit wary of it because I figured they just weren't selling much of it so it probably wasn't any good. BUT, I thought I'd give it a try and I am so glad I did! (The Wine Guy is very excited that I did too!!)

The wine was only about $6.99 and I plan on making another trip to the Sahara Mart for a few more bottles of this hidden gem.

Here are my tasting notes for this light-to-medium bodied dry red...


Date tasted: 3/31/2006
Winery name & location: Michele Chiarlo (pronounced Mik-KELLY Key-ARE-low), Calamandrana, Italy
Grape/blend: Barbera
Vintage: 2003
Color: bright cherry/crimson
Taste: medium-bodied, cherry flavors, strong tannins, medium acidity
Aroma: rich & ripe, fruity - cherry, raspberry scents
Thoughts/info from wine label: The taste is lighter than the smell. It really reminded the Wine Guy and I of a Pinot Noir. The label says that, "The Barbera grape is a native to Piedmont, and Barbera from Asti is generally considered to be Italy's best, yielding wines of superier fruit intensity and fragrance. Michele Chiarlo Barbera d' Asti is a supple, medium-bodied wine of velvety texture and depth a perfect choice for flavorful food."

We drank this wine first on its own, and then with a meal of herb & garlic marinated chicken, corn, smashed red potatoes, and salad. On its own the wine tastes lighter, and with food the flavors are brought the the forefront much more. Wine Guy thought that it was spicier with food.

According to the wine's website, it was aged in oak for 8 months and the alcohol content is 13.36%.

We were both highly impressed with this wine. Drumroll please........

Wine Gal's Five Grape Tasting Scale: OOOO (FOUR GRAPES!!)
Wine Guy's Five Grape Tasting Scale: OOOO - Four grapes...finally we agree on one! :)

Link to winery's website: www.chiarlo.it

No comments: